August 24, 2011

Wish I Was Calvin Again...

Wish I was Calvin again. I miss my Hobbes. Oh! how I wish to go back in time and relive the moments of my childhood, how I wish I could just transmogrify the whole world as I wanted it to be.
I always identified with Calvin as a child (I suppose you could say I still do). Constantly feeling out of sync with the rest of the world, and thus retreating to the world you create for yourself in your mind. This strip reminds me of my current state of mind. I want to do something but there is this gnawing feeling somewhere, which restricts my every move, which stops me from going all out.
Oh, how I wish I was Calvin again!
Going to school every day and seeing all the ways we didn't fit in, being constantly in denial mode, trying everything not in the book to get out of uncomfortable situations(and bearing the brunt of the cane for it), creating your own world to retreat into after the world has ignored you, being constantly intrigued by the absolute stupid endeavours of adults, not understanding war, not even trying to understand the absolutely unfathomable, disgusting habit of putting a burning stick at the end of your mouth and throwing out smoke(the smoke was fascinating though, but the fire was not). Too many questions and very few answers was the constant irritation as one struggled to try and understand the adult world.
(Sigh)

calvin and hobbes comic strip
I was assured that once I grow up, I would have answers to all of the questions. They lied. I still don't have the answers. I still don't know. They were wrong. They tricked me. They made me believe that the world I will inherit would be like a fairy tale world, full of fairys and angels and Santa Claus. They promised I could have everything when I grew up. They promised me Utopia.
(Sigh)
Nothing is what was promised, nothing is what I had dreamt of. Nothing.
I wish I could tell my children the real truth: I wish I could tell them that....

1. Life is not fair. Get used to it.
2. The real world won't care as much about your self-esteem as your school does. It'll expect you to accomplish something before you feel good about yourself.
3. Sorry, you won't be able to transmogrify yourself into the vice president of a company.
4. If you think your teacher is tough, wait 'till you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure, so he tends to be a bit edgier. When you screw up, he is not going to ask you how you feel about it.
5. It's not your parents' fault. If you screw up, you are responsible. This is the flip side of "It's my life," and "You're not the boss of me," and other eloquent proclamations of your generation.
6. Before you were born your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way paying your bills, cleaning up your room and listening to you tell them how idealistic you are.
7. Life is not about unit tests and exams and you don't get summers off, nor a Diwali vacation. They expect you to show up every day. It just goes on and on.
8. Television is not real life. You cannot just vent your anger by putting Tom in a shredder machine or setting fire to his tail, to get rid of him.
9. Be nice to nerds. You may end up working for them. We all could.
10. Enjoy this while you can. Sure, parents are a pain, school's a bother, and life is depressing. But someday you'll realize how wonderful it was to be kid.

booohoooohoooo!!!
I want to be Calvin again.

7 comments:

  • Fultoo Filmy says:
    March 25, 2007 at 3:36 AM

    hmmm...yeah... quite nice...

  • Nanju says:
    March 25, 2007 at 7:47 AM

    I guess, all of us have this little kid in there who refuses to grow up!! & y should u anyways.... good going Jai! u go look 4 calvin & lemme know if u find him pls :D ....

  • Jainesh says:
    March 25, 2007 at 9:21 AM

    :-)
    will do...

  • Lalsa says:
    March 27, 2007 at 9:41 PM

    Beautiful it is Jai :) well i always thot tht i m the only one who misses her childhood as always found ppl too happy abt thier present lives and excited abt the future n so busy relishing their grown up selves that had no time to look bak n give a thankful smile to their childhood.
    tell u something if i get a chance to fulfill one wish of mine i wud certainly wish tht the time wheel spins back n brings me bak my childhood.
    Cheers for childhood!

  • Anonymous says:
    March 28, 2007 at 7:23 AM

    v remember the things that have gone and we dwell on them. childhood is a stage which we cannot forget even if v want to. this reminded me of william words worth poem " i remember , i remember... the house where i was born..." well wish we all were children again and were playing with calvin. don't u Jai???

  • Dipal says:
    March 29, 2007 at 5:31 AM

    hmmm.. so where in hell did you get the idea for Calvin & Hobbes? I believe a certain elder brother may have inspired you...
    in any case the write up is emphatic and beautiful!
    I am in the process of making a Calvin & Hobbes strip book... That is all strips that i have collected over the years! just heaven...

  • Monojoy™ ® says:
    April 28, 2007 at 11:32 AM

    Wish you were back again! ;-)

Post a Comment

New Previous Home